Tuesday 4 December 2012

Set In Stone.

I enjoy taking photos of the urban environment. My work is not so much street photography - there are normally no people in my photos - but mostly bridges, roads, houses, underpasses and the like. I almost never shoot in day light. I shoot at night, when it's darkest. Streetlights and long exposures are my friend in the 1-3am time slot. And no one is around to question what I'm doing or shoot me funny looks!

But after a chat I had with a friend the other day about pushing yourself in your craft and practise being the only real road to improving any skill, I decided to start a new series. It is nothing magically awesome, the images are taken on a mobile phone and the subject matter may be lacking in vibrancy for some. But, and this is the important thing, it is challenging, well for me anyway.

It challenges me to shoot during the day, to keep my eyes open and not be deterred by the presentce of people. I have to get the shot even if people giving me that confused 'she's strange' look, and I have no excuse not to go out and shoot because the subject is every where.

I'm shooing pavements, side walks and footpaths. Mostly with writing in the concrete, but not limited to that. So these are the first images from my 'challenge myself series'  Set in Stone . We'll see how this goes, I may even get brave enough to take out my real camera in the next few weeks.
- E.








No comments:

Post a Comment